Every employer must provide Reasonable Adjustments to ensure that they are not discriminating against people in their workforce. Even small changes to computers, equipment, work patterns or responsibilites can transform people's lives and enable them to achieve their full potential.
It's good for business
Making Reasonable Adjustments can boost productivity and reduce sickness rates:
- build a more productive, more loyal workforce
- improve well-being and reduce sickness rates
- protect the investment you have made in your teams
- reduce legal risks of tribunals and claims of discrimination.
It's the law
The Equality Act and Health and Safety legislation require employers to take a pro-active approach to Reasonable Adjustments. Ignorance is not a defence in legal cases - you need to show how you identified someone's needs and demonstrate the adjustments you made to accommodate them.
If problems only come to light when a dispute arises then this demonstrates that you needed to take a more positive approach to identifying need and exploring reasonable adjustments.
How much does it cost?
- ClearTalents on Demand is an easy to use online tool that generates a free report for managers
- The report explains the issues to be addressed and identifies any relevant Reasonable Adjustments that are required
- In many cases the report enables you to meet the needs of your employee without needing any specialist support
- Some cases may require support from an AbilityNet expert, which can be requested from within the report
- A remote expert assessment costs £195 (with optional screen-share) or a face-to-face session costs £350
- The cost of the Adjustments can vary.
What about the cost of the adjustments?
Many of the recommendations provided by the report can be made at no cost - changes to work patterns, moving a desk or chair, swapping keyboards and so on. Some may require low cost equipment, such as a specialist mouse, a document holder or coloured sheets to help someone with dyslexia.
In some cases specialist equipment may be required such as computer software, specialist hardware or desks or chairs.
If you use AbilityNet at any stage of the process you will not be tied to any specific supplier.
What do I need to do?
You can start now by offering your employees a way to identify their needs.
- Send your employee to Clear Talents On Demand.
- Ask them to answer a few simple questions to create a profile and a report is sent directly to you.
- You can then review the report with your employee and agree what adjustments to make.
This pro-active approach will meet your legal responsibilities and help your employee achieve their full potential.
Want to know more?
- Use our online form to ask questions and request a call back
- Speak to our sales team by calling 01926 464 095
- Call our helpline on 0800 269 545 for expert advice about how technology can help disabled people in the workplace
- Use our free expert resources for employers and employees