There are many websites with useful information on disability and/or technology. Some are themselves sources of good links to other sites.
Each link in the lists below will open a new window. Close that window to return to AbilityNet. This is to help your navigation if you wish to return to this list.
DISCLAIMER: The details listed below are for information purposes only and no endorsement or approval by AbilityNet should be inferred. All links were current on 21/4/2016.
- Ability Magazine – publication of the British Computer Society Disability Group campaigning for accessible IT.
- Ableize Disability & Mobility – The UK and Ireland's largest and most viewed resource of disability mobility and special needs.
- Access Audio – suppliers of communication and control equipment to assist disabled people at work, at home, or at play
- Ace Centre
- Action for Blind People - an expert national organisation providing free and confidential support for blind and partially sighted people in all aspects of their lives.
- Action for M.E. Support.
- Active Mobility Centre.
- Arthritis Care - Support, campaigns and services for people with arthritis.
- Berkshire Autistic Society (BAS) - support and action group for the parents and carers of children and adults with autism, autism related problems, Asperger Syndrome or challenging behaviour.
- British Dyslexia Association
- BT Accessibility Solution
- Centre for Accessible Environments – Working to make the built environment accessible to all.
- Centre for Independent Living (National).
- CFTD - Computers for the Disabled - New and 2nd Hand PC’s & parts supplied to the Disabled, the housebound, disabled centres & home users by our non-profit organisation.
- Check The Map - A community where anyone can find or promote a Learning Disability (LD) service.
- Citizens Advice Bureaux
Volunteer hotline 08451 264 264 (local rate Mon-Fri)
- Communication Matters (ISAAC UK) – Augmentative Alternative Communication group.
- Consensus Support for people with learning difficulties
- Companion Stairlifts - One of the largest retailers of stairlifts in the U.K.
- CRDC - Choices and Rights Disability Coalition.
- Department for Education and Skills.
- Digital Unite
- Disabled Dating - Disabled Friends dating offering Disabled Personals, Disabled Dating, Disabled Matchmaking and Disabled Chat.
- Disability Awareness in Action (DAA) is an international human rights network, run for and by disabled people.
- Disability Rights Commission.
- Disabled Accessories - Supply a huge range of innovative disabled aids and sports injury / trauma products at low cost.
- Disabled Living Foundation.
- Disability Net. Information service, forum, shopping and resource database for the UK.
- Disability Now - The award winning newspaper for everyone with an interest in disability.
- Disability Resources from the UK government
- Disability World - Small individual run site based in Scotland.
- Dyslexia Action
- Essentialaids.com - the UK's online shop for daily living aids.
- Finchale Training College for Disabled People
- Geemarc Telecom - Provide communication equipment for people with Hearing and Visual disabilities.
- Guide Dogs for the Blind Association.
- Headway-National organisation for people with a head injury
- Heart 'n' Soul Music Theatre - A leading disability arts group.
- King's Fund - The King's Fund is an independent charitable foundation whose goal is to improve health, especially in London.
- LEAD Scotland - Linking Education and Disability.
- Learning for Life Swindon - provide personal development courses (life, work and therapeutic), continuous personal development reviews, counselling and guidance for individuals that have a disability and carers.
- Leonard Cheshire - works with 12,000 disabled people in the UK, and a further 15,000 across the world.
- Mabels - a web site that caters for the older generation providing
daily support http://www.mabels.org.uk
- Mayer-Johnson - symbol based language and literacy through software.
- Mobility-Advisor.com: Live More Independently - Educational resource with information on wheelchairs, scooters, wheel chair sports and recreation, mobility aids, and support organizations to enhance the lives of individuals of all ages who need mobility assistance..
- MND Association-providing help and support for people who have the condition as well as their friends and families
- Money advice service
- Movement2 - specialises in moving, handling and bathing equipment for the disabled and elderly.
- Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- Online Course Directory
- Opportunities - Employment charity for people with disabilities.
- Parkinson's UK
- Parkinson's Hub
- Propeller Multimedia Ltd - Rehabilitation software for people with acquired head injuries.
- Queen Elizabeth's Foundation - a national charity supporting over 20,000 physically disabled people annually.
- Remap - Make technical aids for disabled people on a voluntary basis.
National site - www.remap.org.uk
- Remploy-supported employment for disabled people
Rica - national research charity that produces independent information for older and disabled people.
- Royal National College for the Blind College. The college is the largest college of further education for people with sight loss in the UK.
- Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB).
- Scope - The national charity for people with Cerebral Palsy.
- The Stroke Association
- Stroke Survivors - designed for Cerebella Stroke Victims.
- Therapy Directory
- U Can Do I.T. - A charity which provides low cost internet computer training for blind, deaf and disabled people
- UKShopability.co.uk - Supplies a range of disability aids, mobility aids, and assistive technologies.
- United Response - a national charity supporting over 1200 people with learning disabilities and mental health problems.
- Widgit Software for literacy and special needs.
- Youreable.com - Information, Goods and Services.
Go to Top
- Ability Online Support Network - An American electronic mail system that connects young people with disabilities or chronic illness to disabled and non-disabled peers and mentors.
- ABLEDATA - A federally funded project whose primary mission is to provide information on assistive technology and rehabilitation equipment available from domestic and international sources to consumers, organizations, professionals, and caregivers within the United States.
- All about vision-a useful resource on vision
- ADA Disability Information - One of Americas foremost resource sites for disabled people.
- Building Community Collaboration and Consensus - Contains extensive information on Collaboration and Public Participation with an emphasis on Youth Participation.
- Gladnet - Global Applied Disability Research and Information Network for Employment and Training.
- IBM Special Needs Systems.
- International Centre for Disability Resources on the Internet.
- LC Technologies - Creators of the Eye-Gaze system.
- Microsoft Accessibility Page.
- Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic. America's education library for people with print disability.
- R J Cooper - A small development company, designing equipment for disabled people.
- The Disability Connection - Apple Macintosh disability information site.
- Trace Centre - World renowned centre in the area of computing and disability.
- Web Site Accessibility Guidelines.
- World Association for Persons with Disabilities (WAPD).
- Youreable.com - includes articles from Ability Magazine.
All of these links were current as of April 2016. Unfortunately web sites come and go so they might not be permanent.
If you find an out of date link why not report it to us?