Little Christmas cheer for the disabled
The run up to Christmas is always a busy time for shopping online, and ordering the turkey and Christmas pud for the big day will be no exception. Being able to shop online and have goods delivered to your door is a huge convenience for everyone at this busy time of year, but is especially important for people with disabilities who often have difficulty getting to or around shops or handling heavy goods.
Our review found that most supermarket websites and apps are difficult and frustrating for disabled people to use – which means that many will struggle to complete their grocery shopping online and have their Christmas goodies delivered.
For each supermarket we asked our disabled testers to add three essential christmas items to their shopping basket - a turkey, Christmas pudding and a dozen crackers. We also tested the sites using Compliance Sherrif, an industry-standard tool that tests the sites at code level. Our consultants then checked the results to give a score out of five.
- www.tesco.com = 3 stars: Satisfies minimum requirements
- Tesco app = 3.5 stars: Slightly exceeds minimum requirements
- www.sainsburys.co.uk = 2.5 stars: Satisfies some minimum requirements
- Sainsburys app = 2 stars: Below minimum requirements
- www.asda.com = 2.5 stars: Satisfies some minimum requirements
- Asda app = 2 stars: Below minimum requirements
- www.morrisons.co.uk = 2 stars: Below minimum requirements
- Morrisons app. None available
- www.ocado.com = 2.5 stars: Satisfies some minimum requirements
- Ocado app = 4 stars: Exceeds minimum requirements
- 5 stars Excellent. Site/app is highly accessible and exceeds minimum requirements for accessibility and usability
- 3 stars Base level. Site/app satisfies minimum requirements for accessibility and usability
- 1 star Very poor. Site/app is not accessible and does not meet minimum requirements for accessibility and usability
Download the full report using the links below to get a complete set of results and more details about what the scores mean.