There are many websites with useful information on disability and/or technology. Some are themselves sources of good links to other sites.
Each link in the lists below will open a new window. Close that window to return to AbilityNet. This is to help aid your navigation if you wish to return to this list.
DISCLAIMER The details listed below are for information purposes only. No endorsement or approval on the part of AbilityNet should be inferred.
All of these links were current as of 17/7/2012. Unfortunately web sites come and go so they might not be permanent. If you find an out of date or problems with the content please report it to us
United Kingdom Useful links from the UK
- Ability Magazine – publication of the British Computer Society Disability Group campaigning for accessible IT.
- Abilitymedia.co.uk - Promotes disability and social inclusion within the UK. Publishers of Ability Magazine.
- AbilityOnline.net - Small group of disabled users on the net.
- Ableize Disability & Mobility – The UK and Ireland's largest and most viewed resource of disability mobility and special needs.
- Able Living – website which contains a wide variety of products, which will help keep people as active as possible in all aspects of their daily lives.
- Access Audio – suppliers of communication and control equipment to assist disabled people at work, at home, or at play
- Ace Centre North.
- Ace Centre Oxford.
- Action for Blind People - an expert national organisation providing free and confidential support for blind and partially sighted people in all aspects of their lives.
- Action for M.E. Support.
- Active Mobility Centre.
- anAurora - The Internet Magazine for Disabled Women.
- Arthritis Care - Support, campaigns and services for people with arthritis.
- Berkshire Autistic Society (BAS) - support and action group for the parents and carers of children and adults with autism, autism related problems, Asperger Syndrome or challenging behaviour.
- Birmingham Carers Association
- BT Accessibility Solution
- Canmore Housing Association – Provide good affordable housing for those with low incomes and/or specialised needs.
- Care Homes Directory - Directory of nursing and care homes across the UK.
- Centre for Accessible Environments – Working to make the built environment accessible to all.
- Centre for Independent Living (National).
- CFTD - Computers for the Disabled - New and 2nd Hand PC’s & parts supplied to the Disabled, the housebound, disabled centres & home users by our non-profit organisation.
- Cheapflights.co.uk - provides useful information regarding disabled travel and useful links.
- Check The Map - A community where anyone can find or promote a Learning Disability (LD) service.
- Citizens Advice Bureaux
Advice Guide: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk
Volunteer hotline 08451 264 264 (local rate Mon-Fri)
- Communication Matters (ISAAC UK) – Augmentative Alternative Communication group.
- Companion Stairlifts - We are one of the largest retailers of stairlifts in the U.K.
- CRDC - Choices and Rights Disability Coalition.
- Department for Education and Skills.
- Disabled Dating - Disabled Friends dating offering Disabled Personals, Disabled Dating, Disabled Matchmaking and Disabled Chat.
- Disability Alliance.
- Disability Awareness in Action (DAA) is an international human rights network, run for and by disabled people.
- Disability Equality and Diversity Training (Equality Link Consultancy) is a leading edge company specialising in disability equality and diversity training in the work place. We provide bespoke training, consultancy and auxiliary services to ensure that your service meets its legislative requirements and deliver service excellence at all levels.
- Disability Rights Commission.
- Disabled Accessories - Supply a huge range of innovative disabled aids and sports injury / trauma products at low cost.
- Disabled Living Foundation.
- Disability Net. Information service, forum, shopping and resource database for the UK.
- Disability Now - The award winning newspaper for everyone with an interest in disability.
- Disability on the Agenda - the governments Disability Discrimination Act and DfEE information site.
- Disability World - Small individual run site based in Scotland.
- Dyslexia Association of Birmingham - Offers free advice and support to parents and children with Dyslexia and to those who are interested in learning more about Dyslexia.
- Eagle Disabled and Healthcare Resources - A list of websites dealing with various aspects of disability, care services and mobility access for the disabled.
- Electric Wheelchairs at The Wheelchair Site – Is an independent website designed to help you choose the right wheelchair to get you going.
- Employer's Forum on Disability.
- Essentialaids.com - the UK's online shop for daily living aids.
- Essential Learning Institute - a site with information, testing, products and programs to identify and solve learning disabilities.
- Finchale Training College for Disabled People
- Functional Independence Skills Handbook - An assessment and a full curriculum with lesson plans designed to assist people with developmental disabilities
- Geemarc Telecom - Provide communication equipment for people with Hearing and Visual disabilities.
- Guide Dogs for the Blind Association.
- HearingAids123.com - Information, comparison and reviews of different types of hearing aids.
- Hearing Aids at Hearing Aids 101.
- Heart 'n' Soul Music Theatre - A leading disability arts group.
- IT Can Help - Voluntary IT Support Group.
- King's Fund - The King's Fund is an independent charitable foundation whose goal is to improve health, especially in London.
- Kingsbury School Online - UK State SEN School for pupils with severe learning difficulties.
- LEAD Scotland - Linking Education and Disability.
- Learning for Life Swindon - provide personal development courses (life, work and therapeutic), continuous personal development reviews, counselling and guidance for individuals that have a disability and carers.
- Leonard Cheshire - works with 12,000 disabled people in the UK, and a further 15,000 across the world.
- Mabels - a web site that caters for the older generation providing
daily support & services.
- Mayer-Johnson - symbol based language and literacy through software.
- Mobility-Advisor.com: Live More Independently - Educational resource with information on wheelchairs, scooters, wheel chair sports and recreation, mobility aids, and support organizations to enhance the lives of individuals of all ages who need mobility assistance..
- Mosaic: shaping disability services - deliver a range of information and services that disabled people want.
- Movement2 - specialises in moving, handling and bathing equipment for the disabled and elderly.
- Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- National Information Forum - A voluntary organisation committed to encouraging the provision of accessible information.
- n-e-ability.co.uk - A regional portal aimed at providing disability and lifestyle information to the community in North East England.
- Opportunities - Employment charity for people with disabilities.
- Osteopaths Guide - A comprehensive guide to osteopathy for the general public and osteopaths; with up to date information on all aspects of osteopathic healthcare.
- Propeller Multimedia Ltd - Rehabilitation software for people with acquired head injuries.
- Queen Elizabeth's Foundation - a national charity supporting over 20,000 physically disabled people annually.
- Raisingkids.co.uk - provides free information and advice to parents.
- Remap - Make technical aids for disabled people on a voluntary basis.
National site - www.remap.org.uk.
- Ricability - national research charity and independent consumer guides for older and disabled people.
- Royal National College for the Blind College Road, Hereford HR1 1EB (tel 01432 265725) - The college is the largest college of further education for people with sight loss in the UK.
- Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB).
- Sabre Employment - providing creative and substainable solutions for recruitment and retention of people with disabilities.
- Scope - The national charity for people with Cerebral Palsy.
- Self Help UK - A free searchable database of over 1,000 self help organisations and support groups across the UK.
- Skill - The national bureau for students with disabilities.
- Speech Centre.
- Stroke Survivors - designed for Cerebella Stroke Victims.
- TD Centre - Tardive Dyskinesia & Reglan - Helping families regain control - A site providing useful information on the symptoms, side effects & treatments of Tardive Dyskinesia.
- Therapy Directory
- U Can Do I.T. - A charity which provides low cost internet computer training for blind, deaf and disabled people
- UK Self Help - Contact numbers for over 700 UK self help groups.
- UKShopability.co.uk - Supplies a range of disability aids, mobility aids, and assistive technologies.
- United Response - a national charity supporting over 1200 people with learning disabilities and mental health problems.
- Widgit Software for literacy and special needs.
- Youreable.com - Information, Goods and Services.
http://www.youreable.com.Go to Top
International Sites Useful links from sites outside the UK
- Ability Online Support Network - An American electronic mail system that connects young people with disabilities or chronic illness to disabled and non-disabled peers and mentors.
- ABLEDATA - A federally funded project whose primary mission is to provide information on assistive technology and rehabilitation equipment available from domestic and international sources to consumers, organizations, professionals, and caregivers within the United States.
- ADA Disability Information - One of Americas foremost resource sites for disabled people.
- Building Community Collaboration and Consensus - Contains extensive information on Collaboration and Public Participation with an emphasis on Youth Participation.
- Gladnet - Global Applied Disability Research and Information Network for Employment and Training.
- IBM Special Needs Systems.
- International Centre for Disability Resources on the Internet.
- LC Technologies - Creators of the Eye-Gaze system.
- Microsoft Accessibility Page.
- Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic. America's education library for people with print disability.
- R J Cooper - A small development company, designing equipment for disabled people.
- The Disability Connection - Apple Macintosh disability information site.
- Trace Centre - World renowned centre in the area of computing and disability.
- Web Site Accessibility Guidelines.
- World Association for Persons with Disabilities (WAPD).
- Youreable.com - includes articles from Ability Magazine.
- Yuri Rubinsky Insight Foundation.
All of these links were current as of 17/7/2012. Unfortunately web sites come and go so they might not be permanent. If you find an out of date link why not report it to us?
Free IT Support for Disabled People
Our FREE helpline offers expert advice and information about how disabled people can use computers and the internet.
Call us now on: 0800 269 545